Spirits in Nigeria
CHEAPER SPIRITS PRODUCTS GAIN POPULARITY
The sluggish pace of Nigeria’s economic recovery led many consumers to trade down to cheaper spirits products in 2017. This trend supported strong performances by locally manufactured bitters, gin and dark rum brands.
DEMAND FOR SMALLER PACK SIZES INCREASES
The challenging economic climate also bolstered demand for smaller pack sizes across most spirits categories in 2017. Manufacturers in cheaper categories like gin and bitters responded by offering small sachet packs, which gave their brands an advantage over more expensive products that were not available in such formats.
WHISKIES AND BITTERS PERFORM STRONGLY IN 2017
Bitters was one of the best performing spirits categories in Nigeria in 2017. While its comparatively low price positioning ensured the category was a key destination for consumers who were trading down, it also benefited from the fact that many Nigerians perceive bitters products made with herbs to have medicinal properties.
TWO LOCAL PLAYERS LEAD SPIRITS IN 2017
Nigeria Distilleries led spirits in total volume sales terms in 2017 thanks to its wide range of affordable brands. Its gin and schnapps products are particularly popular among spirits drinkers in Nigeria, with Seaman’s Schnapps being one of its best-known brands.
BEST BRAND RANGE CONTINUES TO GAIN GROUND
Led by Best Gin and Best Classic Whisky, Best from Tanamont Nigeria was one of the strongest performing brand ranges in spirits in 2017. Best Cream – which during the review period overtook traditional category leaders Baileys Irish Cream and Amarula to become the top brand in cream-based liqueurs – also performed well thanks to its lower price point and wide distribution coverage.
NEW LAUNCHES STRENGTHEN CONSUMER INTEREST IN VARIOUS CATEGORIES
Novel flavours were a key focus for new product development activity in spirits in 2017 as companies sought to maintain consumer interest in their brands. This was particularly the case in rum, a category where consumers often seek to cut the harsh taste of products by mixing them with soft drinks.
SAMPLES (FAQS ABOUT SAMPLES):
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Spirits industry in Nigeria with research from Euromonitor’s team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you’re in the Spirits industry in Nigeria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Spirits in Nigeria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Spirits in Nigeria?
- What are the major brands in Nigeria?
- Are consumers switching from international spirits to ‘cheaper’ local spirits as consumer spending is being squeezed?
- What is the most popular price point for blended Scotch; super-premium, premium, standard or economy and has the recession resulted in a switch?
- How do premium vs standard vs economy brands compete for sales?
- What are the key flavours in vodka?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.