Cider/Perry in Nigeria
CIDER/PERRY BENEFITS FROM NOVELTY APPEAL
Cider/perry only began to register significant volume sales in Nigeria in 2012, when Distell Group Ltd launched the Savanna Dry and Hunter’s Extra Dry Cider brands in the country. However, with the exception of 2016, when it was negatively affected by the economic downturn, the category performed well over the review period.
COMPETITION FROM SPIRIT-BASED RTDS LIMITS DEVELOPMENT POTENTIAL
Despite a generally positive outlook, over the forecast period the development of cider/perry in Nigeria will continue to be limited by competition from spirit-based RTDs. This category has a similar positioning to cider/perry, in that it mainly offers sweeter fruit-flavoured products.
ON-TRADE CIDER/PERRY CONSUMPTION SET TO CONTINUE RISING
Prior to 2015, cider/perry volume sales were heavily concentrated in off-trade channels. This was because Distell Group focused its distribution efforts on modern grocery retailers outlets in order to catch the attention of middle- and higher-income consumers.
DISTELL GROUP MAINTAINS ITS COMMANDING LEAD
Distell Group continued to dominate cider/perry in Nigeria in 2017 thanks to its first mover advantage and wide distribution of its Savanna and Hunter’s brands, particularly via rapidly developing modern grocery retailers channels. Nonetheless, the company has faced increased competition in the category since 2015, when Nigerian Breweries launched its heavily advertised and widely distributed Strongbow brand.
STRONGBOW IS THE BEST PERFORMING BRAND
Second ranked Nigerian Breweries was the best performing company in cider/perry in terms of total volume sales growth in 2017 thanks to the success of its Strongbow brand. This brand is well advertised, including at points of sale, and distribution is focused on on-trade channels, where it competes with spirit-based RTDs products.
PROSPECTS FOR PERRY BRANDS ARE POSITIVE
Perry brands accounted for a very small share of total cider/perry volume sales in Nigeria in 2017. Whereas cider brands generally compete in the mid-priced segment, perry brands such as Chaumet Demi Sec typically have a premium positioning.
SAMPLES (FAQS ABOUT SAMPLES):
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cider/Perry industry in Nigeria with research from Euromonitor’s team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you’re in the Cider/Perry industry in Nigeria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cider/Perry in Nigeria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cider/Perry in Nigeria?
- What are the major brands in Nigeria?
- Is premiumisation expected to continue to be an important driver in cider?
- Who are the key consumers of cider: men, women, younger or older consumers?
- Where is cider mainly consumed- at home or away from home?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.