Alcoholic Drinks in Nigeria
ALCOHOLIC DRINKS RECOVERS IN TOTAL VOLUME GROWTH TERMS IN 2017
After declining in 2016, total alcoholic drinks volume sales grew in 2017 as the Nigerian economy recovered from recession. However, total volume sales growth was slower than the corresponding CAGR for the entire review period, when the market’s performance was boosted by rising incomes and growth in the country’s young and urban populations.
TRADING DOWN CONTINUES ACROSS ALCOHOLIC DRINKS
Due to enduring price sensitivity among consumers, lager continued to see a strong shift towards economy brands in 2017. Such brands were generally only distributed regionally rather than nationwide, though some did begin to expand beyond their home regions to become available in big cities such as Lagos.
COMPETITION IN ALCOHOLIC DRINKS INTENSIFIES
Nigerian Breweries Plc and Guinness Nigeria Plc, subsidiaries of Heineken NV and Diageo Plc respectively, remained the top two players in alcoholic drinks in Nigeria in total volume sales terms in 2017. However, during the review period these two companies faced increasing competition from AB InBev NV subsidiaries Pabod Breweries Ltd and International Breweries Plc, particularly in economy lager.
ON-TRADE CHANNELS CONTINUE TO LEAD BUT OFF-TRADE CONSUMPTION INCREASES STEADILY
Because people in Nigeria mainly drink in groups rather than at home, on-trade channels continued to account for the largest share of total alcoholic drinks volume sales in 2017. Beer is mostly consumed in pubs and bars, though the introduction of cans has helped to increase the overall volume share of off-trade sales in this category in recent years.
POSITIVE MARKET PERFORMANCE PROJECTED OVER THE FORECAST PERIOD
As different categories recover from the relatively weak performances seen over 2016-2017, alcoholic drinks is projected to record robust growth in total volume sales over the forecast period. Economy lager will continue to drive the expansion of the beer category, though mid-priced lager is expected to recover from several years of declining volume sales as economic conditions improve.
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Alcoholic Drinks industry in Nigeria with research from Euromonitor’s team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you’re in the Alcoholic Drinks industry in Nigeria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Nigeria for free:
The Alcoholic Drinks in Nigeria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Alcoholic Drinks in Nigeria?
- What are the major brands in Nigeria?
- Have there been any alcoholic drinks legislative changes over the past 12 months?
- How is the alcoholic drinks industry affected by the recession?
- What is consumed more; beer, wine or spirits?
- What have been the key trends seen in new product developments?
- Do alcoholic drinks consumers want value for money or added value?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.